Friday, October 3, 2008

Week one

Well, as most of you know, my wonderful husband left this week for that annoying thing they call work. He will be in Arizona for a month. This is a public blog, so I have to be selective about what I say about him being gone. Anyway, I am even more bored now that he's gone, so today i decided to get out of the house and do what I love to do...shop! Now, I don't shop here like I do in the states. I either can't fit into the itty bitty clothing they have here, or if I do fit into them, I don't want to wear it. As I'm sure you've all seen, their style is a little...uh...different than ours! So I really went to get a mall fix.
There is an area down the road called "American Village". Here, they have a mall, a bunch of restaurants, and a few small stores. I guess it is yet another tourist trap to lure those crazy Americans!



So here it is, the mall. It is a little different than malls in the US. It is kind of like one HUGE department store with a few small ones in the middle of it all. So it is like one enormous room with tons of stuff in it. I think of it as a department store on steroids with a grocery section. This is no Walmart Supercenter, folks. I REALLY wanted to take a bunch of picture inside, but I would have felt like an idiot doing so, and I am not sure it is allowed.

I guess they think we all love pirates


Most of the clothing is what I consider "teeny-bopper" clothes: tons of tshirts, ripped jeans, crazy styles. My favorite part of shopping is looking at the tshirts. They are all in english, but don't quite translate properly. So I grabbed a few of my favorites and took them into the dressing room with me to take a few photos! If you click the photo, you will see them larger.


Some of the sayings are so random it seems as if they just heard english words and put them on a shirt in no particular order!
This one was my favorite, so I had to try it on. I did the whole "pose in the mirror thing." It says, "I love burgers. The food is pretty good". I LOVE the hamburbers sewn on both sides! I totally would have bought it, but it was $50. That is a little much for a novelty shirt.
When you get sick, I will give you a snack, and you even get to pick it out!


As I was walking down the mall, there was this creepy character waving and touching people. Ick. If you know me well, you know that I absolutely hate creepy dressed up characters. Halloween is one thing, but there is something about someone dressed in a big furry costume, running around trying to hug you, that really creeps me out. My children will never hang out with the Easter bunny at the mall unless daddy takes them. I just got chills thinking about it!




So there was how I spent my Saturday...jealous?!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

You make me laugh, Andrea. I have to say, one time a Jimmy Neutron character came up to Kaitlyn to give her a hug and smacked her in the face with his "big hair" - lovely. That is one wicked looking ferris wheel in your pics. Wish we could see your hubby when he's so close, but I know he will be swamped. Keep posting - we love reading about your adventures!
Love U. Donald, Tracy, & Kaitlyn

Brooke said...

Those shirts are hillarious!!! I SOOOO want to move to Japan now!! I spent all last week in Dallas last week and thought of you guys while I was there. Hope you are all well!

Deanna McAlister Hosea said...

You are killing me! That picture of you in the dressing room almost brought me to tears. What have we been reduced to? Is there nothing else to do on this island? I've been wondering about the "k" in Cocok myself. I haven't been there yet but...it's inevitable.