Saturday, December 6, 2008

Out and about

I am a member of the Marine Officers Spouses Club here on Okinawa and each month there is an event generally involving lunch and going somewhere fun. All of the profits made from each event goes to a local charity. These people are serious about their charities. Last year they gave over one million dollars to local women and childrens charities.
This month we went to the Botanical Gardens and had a few Japanese ladies teach us how to make a traditional Japanese flower arrangement.









Here is a picture of my friend Rebecca and I with the finished product. Not too bad, huh?! I wasn't a huge fan of the pink basket, but what can you do?









I didn't have a chance to walk through the entire garden, but it was pretty big. They had a really nice restaurant there where they have a buffet lunch every weekday. We had a long table set up on the back porch of the restaurant. It looked out over a beautiful green area.






Lunch was, uh, interesting. It was buffet and so you could try everything. Unfortunately I did just that. I had some sort of tofu flavored, jello like, soupy thing; some questionable chicken (well I think it was chicken); the salad was strange, but the rice was good! You can't really go wrong with fried rice, right? Haha, it was certainly a different eating experience!









On the way out I noticed some painted bulls/cows in the bushes and of course a surfing cow. Why not? This is Japan, the land of randomness! All in all it was a nice little outing, especially getting the chance to see something new. They have a huge light display set up for Christmas that is supposed to be spectacular. Hopefully we will have a chance to get out and see it!

2 comments:

Deanna McAlister Hosea said...

You know, the last of the painted cows I've seen was right down Michigan Avenue in Chicago when we lived there. Almost makes you feel right at home!

sallymwoods said...

hey! enjoyed looking at your blog. I too was fascinated with the toilets when I visited Japan, and as for the cows...I wonder if it was the infamous cows on parade art installation - did you ever find out? We have them in Madrid right now: all over. besitos!