Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eisa Festival

I'm sorry I rarely post things anymore that are "Japanese". After two years, you kind of get used to things and forget to take pictures!
This past weekend we went to the Eisa Festival with our friends Matt and Laura.
This festival is a competition between all the local cities on Okinawa. Each city has Eisa performers to represent them. The team usually dresses in bright, traditional Okinawan costumes. They are judged on their talent, creativity of the routine and enthusiasm.
The types of drums that are used in the festival are the shimedaiko and the paaranku. The shimedaiko is a medium sized drum and the paaranku is a smaller hand drum. One of the other instrument used is the sanshin which is a three string instrument that is made of snake skin and looks like a banjo. Thank you to Wikipedia for helping me explain it all! Ha ha!
Laura and I kept sneaking up on each group to get a picture while they were having professional ones done!
I couldn't help myself, I had to get a picture with this guy and his funky outfit! He even made me put on the scarf he was wearing!
While we were watching the dancers, a Japanese man actually stopped us to ask if he could interview us. He post videos on youtube in an effort to inform the world of Okinawan customs and traditions. His editing skills aren't the greatest, and I am certainly not cut out for a career in broadcast journalism, but it is always fun to see yourself on video!
We are "on" at minute 1:30. Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz0DewcAE2k

No comments: