Saturday, August 2, 2008

A little piece of history



My grandfather (dad's dad) retired many years ago after serving serving 28 years or so in the US Air Force. During his time in the service my dad and his family lived here on Okinawa! I got their old address from my grandmother and my friend Sara and I went on a hunt for their old house today! It turns out it is one street over from her house! Crazy!


It was so cool to see the house my dad lived in when he was a little boy around 40 years ago! The house is still standing and in good condition (from what I can tell). Someone lives in it, so I would assume it is still in working order! Anyway,

I just thought it was amazing to know that they once lived there and now I live on this beautiful island as well! (Yes I know, it looks alot like my house, but they all look the same on a military base!)



Sara and I also went to breakfast this morning then on a little walk to the ocean while our husbands played golf! This was the first time I have had a chance to go to the water since we've been here! We went along what they call the "sea wall". There isn't beach there, but you can certainly see the beautiful, clear ocean!


A few people learning to scuba dive


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat, that you were able to find your father's house.
the water looks really pretty too.
How's your house? Do the dogs like it?
Bet john was excited to be able to play golf, too!

Love,
Denise

Anonymous said...

Wow! I bet everything seems so surreal. It looks like you are adjusting well. We miss you here in Texas, but know your adventure there will be great! Definitely want to see the inside of your house, and more pics of the Island. Love you and miss you!!!!

Stacy said...

Wow! That is so cool to have found his house, small world indeedy. Love that you have this blog!

xoxo