Monday, February 9, 2009

Snorkeling

There hasn't been a whole lot of exciting things going on around here, we both have been crazy busy, but not necessarily fun stuff! Last week, John's squadron got a new commanding officer, so it has been a hectic changeover for him and everyone else. There are always alot of things to do when a new person takes over. I finished my very first class towards my masters degree. Here, you do reading and a few assignments on your own, for 4 weeks, then have one week of intensive classroom time. When I say intensive, I'm not kidding. Monday through Friday we had class from 4:30 to 9:30 and then Saturday 8am to 2pm. Whew! This was no ordinary class, it was Research and Statistics, so my brain is slowly recuperating! But its over and I am one step closer.
This weekend we were pretty lazy. It had been a tough week for both of us and we didn't see each other at all. Sunday we decided to go snorkeling since it was such a beautiful day. The weather has gone back and forth from a little chilly to 75 degrees so the water wasn't too bad if you had a wetsuit on.
The water was a bit choppy, but we braved it anyway. Our favorite spot to snorkel has a cave you can swim into. Its a little creepy, but kind of cool at the same time. It was great being able to see it when we did because there was hardly anyone out there and usually this spot is extremely crowded, especially in the summer.
Here is John on the inside of the cave.
Here I am (even though you can't tell) at the entrance.

These are a few of our favorite pictures of the fish we saw.







After we were in the water about 45 minutes, the wind started picking up and it was pretty rough. I have never has to swim that far out in the ocean while the water was so rough. We got a little beat up by waves and were certainly exhausted by the time we made it to shore, but we made it ok!
This may be one of the last times we snorkel here because next week we start classes to be certified scuba divers! Diving here is supposed to be some of the best in the world, so we decided to take advantage! Hopefully I will not be a big chicken! I think it will be fun once I get over the initial fear!
Well that's all for today. I hope all of you have a Happy Valentines Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! You are brave! I just finally snorkeled, and had to conquer my fear of that. Scuba diving? No way for moi!
Glad you are taking advantage of what is there for you.
Congrats on finishing your first class, Andrea!
Love,
M.I.L. (Mother in law)

Goodgion said...

That looks so pretty! Y'all are going to have a lot of fun once you are certified. Trust me, you both will do fine. Some of the skills sound scary but they aren't once you practice them in the pool. It is really cool being able to breath underwater! :)

~Jen