Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Getting the hang of it all

Ok people, sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. It has been a bit of a whirlwind! We have now been on the island for 6 days and things have been going quite smoothly!

I have a friend from back home in good ol Wichita Falls named Sara. Her husband is an Air Force pilot and they are stationed here on Okinawa. It is great to already know someone and not feel like you are bombarding them with all of your questions! Anyway, Sunday night she and her husband took us to an authentic Japanese sushi restaurant...I'm talking the kind where you remove your shoes and sit on the floor. It was great! John and I loved everything about it! It was so fun. I am kicking myself for not bringing my camera, but I promise I will be back and post a few pictures.

Speaking of pictures, I have been asked by many to post some, but I haven't been off base much, so I figured you all don't care much to see what the base looks like. They're all the same, except for the fact that this one has this stuff they call grass. Hmmm...foreign concept coming from the middle of the desert in Fallon, NV.

So we took our driving tests this week; it was not as hard as I expected, but I'm not sure yet how driving will be. We will get our licenses tomorrow and then hopefully immediately after go buy a car! I have felt like I was 15 years old again for the past week. I have had to rely on others, a shuttle, and my own two feet to get me around. Lord knows I'm not a huge fan of the last one, especially in 98 degree heat with an insane amount of humidity on top of that. I swear I've lost at least 5 pounds since I've been here! Driving will be quite an interesting experience. As most of you know, they drive on the other side of the road here, and much, much slower than we do in the United States. From what I hear, the highest posted speed limit on the island is 80 kilometers per hour, meaning a whole 50 miles per hour, but in most places it is 50 or 60 KPH, a whopping 30-40 MPH! Guess I need to lighten up on my lead foot!

Yesterday was my birthday, an I got a wonderful gift: a housing offer! John and I were ecstatic to hear that they already had a place available for us! We move in on Friday, so I will definitely be taking a few pictures of our funky new house and telling about it!

Thank you to everyone who remembered my birthday and sent me birthday wishes! I had a great day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, forget about learning how to speak and read Japanese, it looks like it's time to go back to math 101 for those nasty metric conversions. Can't wait to see your new home. I'm sure the dogs will be thrilled as well.
Also - HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Love you
Tracy, Don & Kaitlyn

Anonymous said...

WOW! Can't wait to see your new place to live. Anxious to hear what base it is on.
It sounds like you're doing wonderfully and embracing your new life.
Thanks for the blog...it's great!

Love,
Millie (Okay, Dan gave me that name...long for Mother in law, get it...MIL)

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'm glad to hear everything is going good for you guys!! I was wondering when you were going to update us : ) I hope you had an awesome birthday! : )

Love ya!
~Jess

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I can't believe John will be in AZ for 6 weeks. That sucks, but at least you have Sara and her husband to keep you busy. Send pics when you can. Give the dogs hugs for me.
Love you
Auntie Rosie