Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Just One of Those Days...

I know I usually only post fun stuff that happens around here, but this is a serious blog. I have alot of stuff to just get out, so I thought I would type it here. These past couple of days have been extra tough. John has been back in the states for 3 weeks now. I still have 5 1/2 more weeks until I get to see him. I started working again for the first time in a year, luckily it is only part-time. I am working at our church doing their financial stuff, it is a great job. and if you didn't know I a working on my Master's degree toward a Master of Human Relations. So I have been pretty busy. It's hard with John being gone to juggle it all and housework and of course the two lunatic dogs we have! On top of all of that, yesterday we lost a Marine to a tragic accident here on Okinawa. He was a guitar player in the band at our church. I didn't know this family very well, but I have still been so sick to my stomach about it. It is amazing that bond I feel towards other military spouses I don't even know. I cannont explain it to you. It is one of those things that could happen to any of us, and when it happens to someone you know, it just hits that much closer to home. Our worst fear is having a man in uniform come knock on our front door. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. Why do these things happen? Why do his two young children have to grow up without knowing their father. Why does his wife have to make a huge move back to the United States all alone? Scary. I am a Bible-believing Christian, but these are all the questions I have asked God the past few days. The answer is, I don't know why. It is hard not to be angry. But I truly believe God has a purpose and a plan for all of our lives and everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason. Some of those reasons we may never know. As Christians our faith in God is tested every day. Do I still trust that He holds my life in His hands? Yes. Do I still struggle with those issues? Of course.
For now, I will continue to be thankful for all of the blessings I have been given. I thank God every day for the Marine he brought to me. I don't know what else to say but be thankful for the things you have. Hold your kids a little closer and hug your wife or husband a little tighter. And please keep the Roy family in your prayers.
My favorite Marine :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly don't know what to say when something trajic happens to a young person who has their whole life ahead of them and leaves a family behind. We may never understand why until we get to heaven. I agree with you that we should not take our love ones for granted. As I get older and I see you kids less, I wish that time would slow down. I miss having everyone around and cherish the times we do get together. I love you and am sorry for the loss of your friend. Love Dad

CJ Lampwork said...

Andrea,
Life's turns do get hard at times. It's hard to grasp the loss of Vernon and Dad. It does make you hug those that you still have here just that much tighter and cherish the times that you have (and the memories you made together). I can only depend on God's strength and grace through all of it, because without Him, all is meaningless. Hang in there. I'm sorry too for the loss of a friend. Love you, Auntie Cheryl

Katie Johnstonbaugh said...

What a heartfelt post Andrea! We felt your pain by reading it. Thanks for bringing to mind that we should never take a moment for granted...Denis & Katie

Deanna McAlister Hosea said...

I just read your post about Tripp. I haven't been able to write anything about the accident on my blog yet. I knew Tripp pretty well since we were together in the praise band twice a week. He was, well...he was a "trip"! I've never met anyone like him before. I didn't handle the news of the accident very well at all. Tim called me at home the day that it happened. I miss him. It's hard to look up from the piano on Sunday mornings and not see him standing in front of me...playing that guitar and singing his heart out!