Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What a week!

Last week was quite the whirlwind! Now that we are stepping into Fall, all of the things we are involved with are starting up and John's unit has been hard at work with all sorts of exercises going on.
With all of these things going on the last thing we needed interrupted our busy schedules. Enter Typhoon Kompasu! Tuesday we experienced our first typhoon. As most of you know, our home is made of concrete. These houses were made to withstand earthquakes and typhoons and any other natural disaster that comes with living on a small island. John and all of the other Marines here got the day off to "prepare" for the storm. It was nice to finally have a lazy day together. It hit us during that evening and fortunately we only experienced very heavy winds and rain. As you can see in this satellite image, the center of the storm passed directly over the island of Okinawa.
The north part of the island suffered a lot of damage, so were very fortunate that we had only a few tree branches that fell.
While we were stuck inside I decided we should have a crab boil. I have never done this before, but I got the idea from my aunt's food blog http://www.dishinanddishes.com/ and it was a success! It is rare that we can get fresh crab legs here, but I will definitely do this again the next time I come across them!
At the end of the week my boss' daughter got married. I had the pleasure of doing the makeup for the bride and bridesmaids. I certainly miss the old makeup artist days!
Finally we ended our long holiday weekend with a trip to a place called Round One with some of our friends. Basically it is like Dave and Busters, but bigger! You pay one fee and can play any of the games, sports, etc on all FIVE floors!
They had archery
Golf and batting cages
Badminton/volleyball
and our favorite, a mini bike race around the roller skating rink!
It was a fun way to end a very rainy weekend even if John and I lost the race to two little kids!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my gosh..you guys sure do have a lot of fun! Glad your crab boil worked out! I want to have one now!